Main Article Content
Sheehan's syndrome (SS) is known as pituitary insufficiency that develops after bleeding and hypovolemia at birth or after birth. The pathological and clinical findings of SS were first described by Harold L. Sheehan. Due to improvements in obstetric care, the frequency of the disease has declined worldwide. Sheehan syndrome is a rare cause of hypopituitarism in developed countries.. However, it is more common in underdeveloped and developing countries. Small sella size enlargement of the pituitary gland, autoimmunity also play a role in the pathogenesis of the disease. Depending on the pituitary damage, symptoms may appear immediately or years later.
It may be presented as isolated hormone deficiency or pan hypopituitarism. For diagnosis, it is important to have a history of excessive hemorrhage at birth, amenorrhea and inability to breastfeed. Lymphocytic hypophysitis should be remembered in differential diagnosis. In this review, a patient with serious post-partum hemorrhage, followed by a history of 3 pregnancies is presented with a slow developing and pan hypopituitarism-causing SS and current physio pathological data in SS are presented.
Bu çalışma Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License ile lisanslanmıştır.
- Sheehan HL. Postpartum necrosis of the anterior pituitary. J Pathol bacterial 1937; 5:189-214. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1700450118
- Kovacs K. Sheehan syndrome. Lancet 2003; 361:520-522. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)12490-7
- Moreira AC, Zanini Maciel LM, Foss MC, Tabosa Veríssimo JM, Iazigi N. Gonadotropin secretory capacity in a patient with Sheehan'ssyndrome with successful pregnancies. Fertil Steril 1984;42:303-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)48032-5
- See TT, Lee SP, Chen H F. Spontaneous pregnancy and partial recovery of pituitary function in a patient with Sheehan's syndrome. Journal of the Chinese Medical Association 2005; 68:187-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1726-4901(09)70247-3
- Shivaprasad C. Sheehan's syndrome: newer advances. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2011;15: S203-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/2230-8210.84869
- Aron DC, Findling JW, Tyrel JB. Hypothalamus and pituitary. In: Greenspan FS, Strewler DJ (Editors). Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 5th ed, New Jersey: Appleton&Lange, 1997: 95- 156.
- Algun E, Ayakta H, Harman M, Topal C, Aksoy H. Spontaneous pregnancy in a patient with Sheehan's syndrome. European J Obst Gynecol Reprod Biol 2003; 110:242-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-2115(03)00117-9
- Giustina G, Zuccato F, Salvi A, Candrina R. Pregnancy in Sheehan's syndrome corrected by adrenal replacement therapy. Case report. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1985;92:1061-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1985.tb03004.x
- Gei-Guardia O, Soto-Herrera E, Gei-BrealeyA, Chen-Ku CH. Sheehan syndrome in CostaRica: clinical experience with 60 cases. Endocr Pract 2011;17:337-44. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP10145.OR
- Dökmetaş HS, Kilicli F, Korkmaz S, Yonem O. Characteristic features of 20 patients with Sheehan's syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol 2006;22:279-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/09513590600630504
- Sert M, Tetiker T, Kirim S, Kocak M. Clinical report of 28 patients with Sheehan's syndrome. Endocr J 2003;50:279-301. https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.50.297
- Karadag B, Akçam NY, Döventaş A, Beger T. Two cases of panhypopituitarism presenting with severe hyponatremia. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2005;8:34-5.
- Oliveira JHA, Persani L, Beck-Peccoz P, Abucham J. Investigating the paradox of hypothyroidism and increased serum thyrotropin (TSH) levels in Sheehan's syndrome: characterization of TSH carbohydrate content and bioactivity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86:1694-9. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.86.4.7373
- Boulanger E, Pagniez D, Roueff S, et al. Sheehan syndrome presenting as early post-partum hyponatremia. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999; 14:2714-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/14.11.2714
- Orrego JJ, Barkan AL. Pituitary disorders. Drug treatment options. Drugs 2000; 59:93-106. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-200059010-00006