Main Article Content
Introduction: The prognostic value sex difference demonstrated in cardiovascular diseases. In present study, we evaluated the prognostic value of sex difference in patients who underwent transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVI).
Material and Methods: Totally, 130 patients who underwent TAVI between January 2016 and December 2018 included retrospectively. Median follow-up time was 324 (IQR 226) days. Demographic characteristic of patients recorded from hospital record system and patients’ fields. Primary outcome was all cause mortality during follow-up.
Results: Mean age of study population was 77.1 ± 7.8 years and female gender was significantly older than male gender. There was no significant difference between groups in term of demographic and laboratory parameters except smoker rate and mean haemoglobin level. During follow-up totally 34 (%26.2) patients were died (male 34.5%, female 20.0%; p= 0.062) and there was no significant difference between groups.
Conclusion: In our single-center retrospective study, we showed that there was no significant difference in gender difference in all-cause mortality during short-term follow-up after TAVI.
Bu çalışma Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License ile lisanslanmıştır.
- - Baumgartner H, Falk V, Bax JJ, et al. Eur Heart J 2017;38:2739–91.
- - Alessandra Laricchia , Barbara Bellini, Vittorio Romano , Saud Khawaja , Matteo Montorfano , Alaide Chieffo. Interv Cardiol 2019 Nov 18;14(3):137-141.
- - Paolo Calabrò , Giampaolo Niccoli , Felice Gragnano , Erik Lerkevang Grove , Rocco Vergallo , Dimitri P Mikhailidis , Giuseppe Patti , Carmen Spaccarotella et al. Are we ready for a gender-specific approach in interventional cardiology?. Int J Cardiol 2019 Jul 1;286:226-233.
- - O’Brien SM, Shahian DM, Filardo G, et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 cardiac surgery risk models: Part 2 – isolated valve surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2009;88(1 Suppl):S23–42.
- - Williams M, Kodali SK, Hahn RT, et al. Sex-related differences in outcomes after transcatheter or surgical aortic valve replacement in patients with severe aortic stenosis: Insights from the PARTNER Trial (Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valve). J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;63:1522–8.
- - Azarbaijani Y, O’Callaghan K, Sanders WE, et al. Sex-specific outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: A review of the literature. Cardiol Rev 2018;26:73–81.
- - Onorati F, D’Errigo P, Barbanti M, et al. Different impact of sex on baseline characteristics and major periprocedural outcomes of transcatheter and surgical aortic valve interventions: Results of the multicenter Italian OBSERVANT Registry. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014;147:1529–39.
- - Simard L, Côté N, Dagenais F, et al. Sex-Related Discordance Between Aortic Valve Calcification and Hemodynamic Severity of Aortic Stenosis: Is Valvular Fibrosis the Explanation? Circ Res. 2017;120:681-691.
- - Ferrante G, Pagnotta P, Petronio AS, et al. Sex differences in postprocedural aortic regurgitation and mid-term mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2014;84:264–71.
- - Lauten A, Figulla HR, Mollmann H, et al. TAVI for low-flow, low-gradient severe aortic stenosis with preserved or reduced ejection fraction: a subgroup analysis from the German Aortic Valve Registry (GARY). EuroIntervention 2014;10:850–9.
- - Stangl V, Baldenhofer G, Knebel F, Zhang K, Sanad W, Spethmann S, Grubitzsch H, Sander M, Wernecke KD, Baumann G, Stangl K, Laule M (2012) Impact of gender on three-month outcome and left ventricular remodeling after transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Am J Cardiol 110: 884–890.
- - Sahrai Saeed, Marc R Dweck, John Chambers. Sex differences in aortic stenosis: from pathophysiology to treatment. Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. https://doi.org/10.1080/14779072.2020.1732209.
- - Hamdan A, Barbash I, Schwammenthal E, et al. Sex differences in aortic root and vascular anatomy in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation: A computed-tomographic study. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2017;11:87–96.
- - Buellesfeld L, Stortecky S, Kalesan B, et al. Aortic root dimensions among patients with severe aortic stenosis undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement. J Am Coll Cardiol Interv 2013;6:72–83.
- - Ribeiro HB, Webb JG, Makkar RR, et al. Predictive factors, management, and clinical outcomes of coronary obstruction following transcatheter aortic valve implantation: insights from a large multicenter registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;62:1552–62
- - O’Connor SA, Morice MC, Gilard M, et al. Revisiting sex equality with transcatheter aortic valve replacement outcomes: A collaborative, patient-level meta-analysis of 11,310 patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;66:221–8.
- - Zhao ZG, Liao YB, Peng Y, et al. Sex-related differences in outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve implantation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2013;6:543–51.
- - Ting-Yu Wang, Ely Gracia, Susan Callahan, Thomas Bilfinger, et al. Gender Disparities in Management and Outcomes Following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation With Newer Generation Transcatheter Valves. Am J Cardiol 2019 May 1;123(9):1489-1493.
- - Laurent Faroux , Shmuel Chen , Guillem Muntane´ -Carol , Ander Regueiro , Francois Philippon , Lars Sondergaard , Troels H. Jørgensen , Jose´ Lopez-Aguilera , Susheel Kodali , Martin Leon , Tamim Nazif , and Josep Rode´s-Cabau. Clinical impact of conduction disturbances in transcatheter aortic valve replacement recipients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. European Heart Journal (2020). doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehz924.
- - Sherif MA, Zahn R, Gerckens U, Sievert H, Eggebrecht H, Hambrecht R, Sack S, Richardt G, Schneider S, Senges J, Brachmann J. Effect of gender differences on 1-year mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation for severe aortic stenosis: results from a multicenter realworld registry. Clin Res Cardiol 2014;103:613-620.